call me crazy, but finding great stocking stuffers are definitely my favorite part of shopping around for holiday gifts. here are a few stocking stuffers i know that my friends wouldn’t mind receiving this year…
shop the gifts:
1. for the friend that has everything, a mini french café pen ($22) would make an adorable addition to her purse or desk.
2. for the product-junkie, get her some fun nail polish, like deborah lippmann’s bring on the bling ($20).
3. for the friend that needs to treat herself a little, this cashmere eyemask ($44) is a great sleep aid.
4. for the sentimental soul, this antico frame ($32) makes a great keepsake. stick a fun picture of you two in there for extra thoughtful points!
5. for the friend that’s already making plans for nye, this cat mask ($12) would make a great nye accessory!
6. a quartz crystal wine stopper ($42) would make a great gift for the hostess in your life!
7. you can’t go wrong with a fun game! These wild & wolf ridley’s dominoes ($11) are a surefire way to beat that holiday boredom.
8. everyone can always use a new key tag, and this XOXOXO key tag ($15) is a cute way to show your friend some love.
9. for the friend that needs a little sparkle, a ban.do mini heart ($10) will cheer her up on the cloudiest of days.
10. for the friend that needs to stay hydrated, a BKR bottle ($34) is a fun way to drink up!
fall/winter is a great time to experiment with different textured stockings and tights. while opaque blacks and grays are always popular options, why not add a new neutral to your collection? dark red is a great way to go…
it looks great with longer dresses and boots.
it can be paired with navies and blacks.
i love how some of the dark reds almost look purple. these plum/dark red tights look great with this black dress, don’t you think?
it also looks great with a lighter colored leather. i love how it’s paired with this patterned navy dress and lighter shoes.
it also goes well with blouse/skirt combinations! earn extra festive points by pairing it with white or lighter shoes!
how do you style dark red tights?
i love fun, patterned pieces that are transitional from season-to-season. so it was really no surprise that i fell in love with dusen dusen. here’s a little history behind this awesome designer, what inspires her to create and a few of my favorite pieces (like this swing dress in amoeba above)…
ellen van dusen is the creator of dusen dusen. after earning a degree from tufts University studying why we see the way we do and how it relates to aesthetic preference, she went to brooklyn equipped with a sewing machine, an iron and a 200 pack of flavor ice. dusen dusen was created for fun times, good people and to inspire confidence in all who wear it.
here are a few of my favorite pieces…
this alpaca cardigan in grid looks so great with this dress! i’d also pair it with a fun red dress for the holidays.
this fun pattern on this box swing dress in triad is really slimming, don’t you think?
i love this patterned box swing dress in pentagons! i normally either wear blacks or navies, but i’d love to add this fun little piece to my wardrobe.
it’s no surprise that i just had to mention this navy swing dress on my recent shift dress roundup. it’s a perfect shade of navy and it could easily be worn any season!
how cool is this holiday sweater with pentagons? as much as i love fair isle, i’d definitely wear this all season.
this grid fitted dress is such a fun piece — i’d pair it with some opaque tights and ankle boots.
you can check out more of her pieces at her online store, need supply co. and of a kind!
which piece is your favorite?
i don’t know about you, but when i was in junior high, i hoarded keychains like it was nobody’s business. i attached them to my backpacks, to my pencil pouches, jackets… anything. so of course, i was so happy to discover various key tags, by design studio various projects. whether you’re a keychain enthusiast like me, or you’re shopping around for a great gift, you’re bound to find a little something for everyone here! just a word of warning though, you’ll be seriously stocking up — it’s impossible to pick just one! (i tried, and i’m already picking out a few more to send as gifts and to keep for myself…) just check a few of these pretties out:
various key tags was also gracious enough to send me a special ‘free wheeler’ keychain with my order, and is offering the chance for one lucky wanderlings reader to win a keytag of their choice! hey now! check out this sweet giveaway after the jump! (more…)
after some recent happenings at work, my skin has seriously been suffering. after waking up to two giant pimples on my face (we’re talking the size of the tip of my pinky finger), i was at a complete loss of what to do. i mean, no concealer or foundation would even begin to work — even color correcting them turned them into this angry shade of purple. i’m not going to lie — i cried.
i decided that it would probably be best to try and reduce the swelling and redness before i made any attempt to conceal these blemishes again. after applying a cold compress to my skin for a little while and not getting any results, i decided to do a little research.
it turns out that tea tree oil is amazing for treating acne! tea tree oil contains natural antibacterial properties which make it it an excellent alternative to harsh synthetic chemicals. just a small amount of oil will penetrate the skin to unblock the sebaceous glands, disinfect pores and dry out whiteheads, blackheads, pimples and other blemishes.
after a quick trip to whole foods, i applied a drop of 100% pure tea tree oil to a clean q-tip and applied directly to each blemish. (if you find that pure, undiluted tea tree oil is a little too harsh or drying on your skin, try using it in a homemade spot treatment. simply mix a couple of drops of tea tree oil into a few teaspoons of aloe vera gel and apply directly onto the pimple you wish to get rid of.) [via wikihow]
i left the oils on my skin for a few hours and continued to drink some herbal tea, along with tons of water. after about three hours, i gently cleansed my skin and patted dry.
i couldn’t believe how quickly the oil started to work! within an hour, both blemishes were visibly less red and aggravated, and they were both beginning to dry up! i’ve never had such a quick reaction to a topical acne product. thanks, nature! and a very special thank you to annie for recommending this to me in the first place!
make sure to use 100% pure tea tree oil and just dilute it if it’s too strong for your skin. this probably won’t work as well if you use products that just contain tea tree oil. and just a warning, the smell can be a bit much for some people… but after you realize that it’s actually working, you might just equate it with a smell of healing, instead!
have you tried tea tree oil as a topical acne treatment? did it work for you?
i used to have a really hard time shopping for mark, but now, i know him well enough to gift like a champ. when you think about it, shopping for partners is a pretty easy task: since you know them well enough, you know what they need. if you still need a little help or you’re in a new relationship, here are a few practical gifts that they’ll still get excited about this year…
shop the gifts: 1. rubber iphone 5 case, madewell; 2. lambswool sweater in stripe, j.crew; 3. arizona arena bi-fold pickers wallet, whipping post; 4. hershel supply co. backpack, urban outfitters.
i’ll probably be buying mark a lot of clothes, since that guy never shops for himself. guys can be so funny about things like that!
when it starts to get cold outside, i tend to wear my glasses almost every day. there’s something about slipping into my favorite sweater and donning my favorite specs that really gets me into the cold weather spirit. and while I have two trusty warby parker frames already, i’m always looking for fun, trendy glasses that i can add to my growing collection. warby parker’s new winter collection has some seriously cute frames that i may have to order asap.
i love these two-tone durand saddle russet frames! they’d look great with a fair isle sweater, don’t you think?
these lyle english oak frames look like they were made to be reading the sunday morning paper in bed. i absolutely love the color!
these chamberlain whiskey tortoise frames look right up my alley. tortoiseshell is such a fun option for frames, they go with just about anything!
how cool are these welty plum marblewood frames? they’re great if you want some wintery-looking frames with a pop of color.
you can check out the rest of warby parker’s new winter collection here!
do you switch up your glasses from season-to-season? which pair is your favorite?
when birchbox reached out to me and asked me if i’d like to try liz earle‘s products, i didn’t really know what to expect. honestly, i hadn’t heard much about this brand until i received a few samples in my birchbox, but with all beauty ventures, i was willing to give it a go. the results were pretty interesting! (more…)
shopping for your parents is no easy feat. and shopping for your in-laws or SO’s parents can be a little terrifying. and since you’re already out there trying to get a few gifting ideas together for christmas (you busy bee, you), it never hurts to make a list. here’s my list for gifting for your mother and/or mother-in-law.
shop gifts for her:
1. these diptyque candles are so amazing. the fragrances smell delicious, and the candles themselves look so sharp! (make sure you’re a bit familiar with scents that the recipient likes, though. if they’re a fan of woodsy scents, i recommend this one.)
2. these kate spade studs make a great gift for the holidays! they come in a ton of different colors and they’re also safe for sensitive ears!
3. does the mother figure in your life have a bit of a sweet tooth? this gold-trimmed cupcake stand is a perfect gift for dessert-lovers (or those who would like to display their accessories).
4. anthropologie mugs are a great gift for your mother or mother-in-law. they’re always cute, colorful and a thoughtful gift that she will use year-round.
5. chances are, if your mother is a living, breathing woman, she will never turn down a good lip product. fresh’s sugar kisses mini lip trio is a perfect set for the holidays. and let’s face it, picking a lip color for your mother or SO’s mother is just too nerve-racking.
are you already shopping for gifts for your mother/mother-in-law? any findings?
i don’t know about you, but when i go shopping alone, i usually end up finding gifts that would be perfect for my group of friends. shopping for your best friend is generally pretty easy, but in case you need a little bit of help, i have a few ideas…
shop the gifts:
1. if your friend likes to accessorize, why not get her a cute heart pendant from ban.do? it comes in a few other colors, as well!
2. as if you needed more topics to discuss, mindy kaling’s questions i ask when i want to talk about myself will introduce 50 topics for you and your BFF to discuss, including best friend rights and other universal truths.
3. if your friend is a product junkie or in serious need of some pampering, you may want to try herbivore botanicals dead sea salts. the products are great, and she will want to keep these sharp-looking bottles in the bathroom after she’s done!
4. staying hydrated doesn’t have to be annoying with bkr bottles. they come in almost every color imaginable and she will want to stay hydrated with these cuties in tow.
5. kate spade has some adorable bangles that are perfect for friends! i especially love this tie one On bangle from the november collection.
what will you be getting your best friend for the holidays?